Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cinemas of the Old


Ever since as a kid, or I should say, from the day I was born, I am being surrounded with the entertainment world. Ahem, pardon me, not those "entertainment" , but the Film Industry. Mainly due to my dad was working as a clerk cum PA with the boss(1 of the big Towkay aka Boss in Singapore Cinema Operator) then. I have the liberty to watch any movies I deem. Walking in and out of the cinema like mine, and having special pass to the defunct Capitol Cinema, Odeon Cinema, Lido Cinema, Cathay Cinema ..I know I know, by naming all these cinema, clearly define the era I am born :) These are the places where I spent most of my childhood days. Galavanting from cinemas to cinemas, Free Pop corns, VIP seats. It will be so cool, if all these happens in this time zone.
Amongst my siblings, my young bro has this soft spot for CAPITOL CINEMA. He will refrain from sitting at the circle seats(circle seats was the most expensive tickets then) claiming the huge circle on top will suck him up into the space black hole, or the angels on the wall will attack him; and if ever any of us convince him that the angels are merely protecting him while he watch the movies, he will timidly hold on to my mums clothing like a millipede crawling behind her back. Sitting stiffly on the chair, as if the time stood still, will not move an inch, especially looking up on the roof.Strange!
As for my Elder Bro, once he see Christopher Lee's fang appear, he will be the opera singer amongst the audience. He will just freak out and cry non-stop, the nonchalant cinema staff will just ask him to leave the cinema.From then, any movies with fangs, he will perform the opera mission. Why my parents still bring him along for fangs' movies? Because my parents belief, no matter what, we will watch the movies as a family. Needless to say, I am the most most gun-ho of them all.
Miss the time when I had to follow my dad to Silver City Cinema at Gay Worlds City, the 1 story cinema, pathetic seats, lousy toilets and worst, lousy patrons. I loathe going there then, keep complaining why I have to follow him to go that cinema every week. Its a vague memories, but still lingers behind my back.

Manage to pull some of the pictures from another site : now and then of Singapore


 My All time Favorite- Odeon Cinema. All the Star Wars series is shown here
The empty area in front is the parking lot

The Old Lido Cinema,where I watch all the James Bond movies here, staring from
Roger Moore- The Spy who Loved Me. Not Sean Connery cos I am not born yet :)



Old Capitol. Miss it so much
The old Cathay, the slope on the right leads up to the car park
 I belief many has forgotten how the cinemas were onced was. I have such fond and memorable memories with the above 4 cinemas, it will continue to stay with me everlastingly....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.